A winery that remains apart, focused clearly on producing elegant great wines while paying little attention to trends.
Many of these age very well, including this one. Antica is the name of one of their growing areas, mainly cultivated with biodynamic methods since 2000. The Antica Cornalin is an inter-parcel blend, made from grapes taken from three “clos” or vine parcels.
They produce another Cornalin and if you visit the winery, do compare the two.
This one is simply beautiful, a fine example of what the grape whose correct name is Rouge du pays, popularly known as Cornalin, can give. I tasted the 2009 at Arvinis and it is perfect right now, but I would happily keep it for a few years: it should age very well.
- Domaine Cornulus
- Route de Savièse, CH-1965 Savièse
Above Sion, canton Valais
- Deep, rich cherry red highlights on dark background
- Splendidly ripe dark fruits, from blueberry to black currant and blackberry, almost jam-like
- Mouth-filling and elegant, very smooth tannins, good structure. The promise of dark fruits jam comes to life here: fruit is very present.
- Over CHF25
- ✭✭✭ a special wine, out of the ordinary