A blend from Cabernet Franc and Cabernet Sauvignon.
The rare wine where we start with the wine and decide on a meal, because the wine is such a special treat. A beauty from start to finish, and despite its elegance it was perfect at home with an ordinary, unfussy meal centred around an old Costa Rican recipe of black beans and rice, cooked slowly (3.5 hours) with onion and Caribbean curry, Worcestershire sauce and plenty of coriander/cilantro powder.
At CHF58 for a 7-year-old wine, this is not a cheap wine, but it is worth every centime. It would be beautiful with roast lamb.
Very small yields, late harvest for full ripeness and 2 years in oak: Cave SA describes it as the pinnacle of Jean-Michel Novelle’s wines, and these are already in general some of the best produced in canton Geneva. A wine for aging; up to 12 years, according to Cave SA.
- Blend, Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon
- Grand Clos
- Satigny, Geneva
- Cave SA
- Deep red, purple highlights
- Reminder that Bordeaux wines are a close cousin, with notes of blackcurrant and tobacco, violets and raspberries
- Rich and mouth-filling, very smooth but present tannins
- Over CHF25
- ✭✭✭ a special wine, out of the ordinary